Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Lawn Fawn - Winter Wishes

For today's card, I'm using some more of the fantastic goodies from Lawn Fawn's brand new release. Like my previous card, I'm going for a sweet and cozy look. So, my card base will be a Walnut notecard.

Since I had a leftover half of marker paper from the previous half, I used that as the center panel on this card, too. I started by stamping the adorable moose and bunny from Critters in the Arctic stamp set. I also stamped the hat from the same set onto a separate piece of paper.

Then I grabbed the adorable bird from Snow Day stamp set and stamped her standing on the moose's head. I also stamped the adorable scarf from the same sent onto that separate piece of paper.

I colored in the moose, bunny, bird and the accessories with Copics. I went for warmer-toned browns on the moose, pink on the bird and yellow and grays for the bunny. I also colored the scarf and the hat I'd stamped on the separate paper. After those two accessories were colored in, I carefully cut them out and adhered them straight onto the panel with Tombow Mono-Multi liquid glue. This is a great glue to use for paper piecing because it lets you move the piece around slightly before it dries permanently, so you can make sure the placement is just perfect.

For the background, I used Copics again. I kept the sky dark blue, and hand-drew a few snowbanks. I also made sure to put a shadow under the moose and bunny so it didn't look like they were floating. I then added some snowflakes to the sky, using a combination of colorless blender and white gel pen.

Once everything was set, I adhered the panel to the card using foam squares. To make things a bit more interesting, I adhered the panel at an angle.

Lastly, I added one of the fun pieces of Snow Day flair to the top right corner. This serves as both the sentiment and embellishment.

Supplies:
Lawn Fawn Critters in the Arctic stamp set
Lawn Fawn Snow Day stamp set
MFT Hybrid Ink in Black Licorice
Lawn Fawn Walnut Notecard
Copic Mini Marker Pad 70lbs
Tombow Mono Multi Liquid glue
Lawn Fawn Snow Day Flair
Sakura Gellyroll White Gel Pen
Scrapbook Adhesives 3D Foam Squares
Copics: Moose (E42, E44, R43, E33, E37, E29, BV25, BV29, 0), Bunny (C2, C4, R20, Y02, Y35), Bird (RV11, RV34, RV66), Hat and Scarf (R05, R46, R89, B00, BG01, BG07), Background (B45, B41, B00, 0)

5 comments:

  1. This is so fantastic, Elle! Love the little scene you've created. The hand drawn snow banks look great. How do you find the copic marker paper? I love the slight angle too - adds a bit of whimsy. And the use of flair as your greeting was a great idea. Might need to find some flair to use. haha Enabling again.... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *really* like the thin 70 lbs marker paper. I actually prefer it over the X-Press blending card, though I've got a bunch of it to print digis on. There's a couple reasons why I like the 70lbs one. First is that it's really thin. So, you can adhere it straight onto the card and still have it look very much 1 layer. The second is that it's got a great smooth finish that makes blending super easy, and it doesn't have bleeding outside the lines (like some of the cardstock I've tried does).

      The main problem I've heard people have with it is that you sometimes get the Copics to bleed on the underside, and that the underside isn't white. Which is completely not an issue for me. I put a piece of white cardstock under it when I color, and it catches any bits that bled out. And since I always adhere it to a base, no one gets to see the underside to notice the color.

      So all in all, I think it's perfect for cards. :D

      And the flair... I just love it! I first got a pack when I bought one of Lawn Fawn's 12x12 collection packs and saw how completely adorable they are. So, I bought more and dreaded using them. But I'm trying to be better about using what I buy, so onto the cards and projects they go! They're a little bulky, but still fit snug in an envelope. They'd be awesome on other things too, like gift boxes.

      Sorry for enabling! (only a little, though, because more supplies = joy!) :D

      Delete
    2. Oops, forgot to add... The 70lbs paper is super easy to fussy-cut. It's like cutting through printer paper, goes super fast.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Elle! I really appreciate the feedback. Will pop it into the card for the next shopping trip. :D The flair is cute. I tend not to buy that sort of stuff anymore but you make me want to get some. Uh oh! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the mini marker pad is pretty cheap. It's 30 sheets (4 1/4 by 5 1/2") for 4.99$, which is plenty enough to play with, but not so much that you feel like you wasted a ton for something you won't even use.

      I'm the same about stickers as you are about flair. I tend to not get it so much anymore, but there was a time where I bought tons and tons of it with plans to use them. I just end up almost never using it on a card. I should try to, though. I've got some really great stickers in my stash.

      Delete