Sunday, October 5, 2014

Hello Feathered Friend

Yesterday was World Card Making Day, and I decided to celebrate by making a fun card. This card features a fun stamp set from Lawn Fawn that was created in collaboration for the Stamptember celebration at Simon Says Stamp. Feathered Friends is, unfortunately, no longer available for sale. But Lawn Fawn does have lots of adorable birds in many of their other sets. So it would be entirely possible to remake this card with other feathered critters.

I started by grabbing a piece of white cardstock and cutting it down to 3 1/2 by 5 1/2". I stamped the lines in brown ink. I decided to use prismacolor pencils. Since I only have 18 pencils, it somewhat limits the amount of color I can add in. So, I decided to use colorful ink to outline the birds and help with the shading. Using different colors for the outline also helps soften the images, so it's a great trick for when you don't want too much contrast.

I colored the birds in with prismacolor pencils, keeping the shading very simple. The area around the birds looked a bit too empty, so I stamped a bunch of musical notes using second-generation stamping. This technique is done by inking up a stamp, stamping it on scratch paper first and then onto your card. It results in a much lighter and translucent stamped image, which is just perfect for adding a subtle touch.

I stamped the sentiment from Feathered friends using Versafine Onyx Black pigment ink.

I created the card base out of Simon Says Stamp's Lemon Chiffon cardstock, making it a standard top-folding A2 base (4 1/4 by 5 1/2"). I covered the front of the card with a piece of Chill paper, from Lawn Fawn's Sweater Weather collection, then adhered the bird panel with foam tape.

As a last touch, I scattered a few Simon Says Stamp Fall Festival sequins around the birds.

Supplies:
Lawn Fawn Stamptember Exclusive Feathered Friends stamp set
Stampin' Up Classic Inkpad in Baked Brown Sugar, Crisp Cantaloupe, Bermuda Bay, Wild Wasabi, Marina Mist and Pumpkin Pie
My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink in Grape Jelly
Tsukineko Versafine Onyx Black pigment inkpad
Simon Says Stamp Lemon Chiffon cardstock
Lawn Fawn Chill paper (from Sweater Weather collection)
Simon Says Stamp Fall Festival sequins
Ranger Studio Multi-Matte glue
Tombow Craft Dot Adhesive Runner (pink)
3M Double-Sided Foam Tape

6 comments:

  1. Cute! I love these birdies must get some lawn fawn out and inky :)
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definintely! Lawn Fawn has the cutest stamps. :D

      Pop in when you make something. I'd love to check it out! :)

      Delete
  2. What a happy card! Loving those colours! Loving the design and everything else too. Hope you had a Happy World Card Making Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kylie! Happy World Card Making day to you too!!! :D

      Delete
  3. Love the card! Those birdies are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patchi! I think they're such adorable feathered critters, too. It's tough to resist using them. :D

      Delete