Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bird Love

Today's card uses the Bird Crazy stamp set designed by Tim Holtz. I got this stamp set very recently, and I just had to pull it out to play with. The quirky, sketchy style the birds are drawn in is fun and I love how each bird has its own personality.

I started by stamping the bird onto some watercolor paper with archival black ink. I then used my Koi watercolors to paint in the bird and a simple background. I have a few sets of watercolors now, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying the Koi ones the best. They're very pigmented, very creamy and easy to use. I didn't do anything exceptional with the colors, just painted with blues and purples and let them blend into each other in places. When the paper dried a little, I colored in the bird with red. I let some of the red bleed into the bottom, adding an extra touch of color.

While the image was drying, I created my card base by cutting a piece of Khaki cardstock in half to create a standard A2 card -- 4¼ by 5½".

After the image was completely dried, I cut it out with a stitched rectangle. I wanted to add some splatter effects, so I pulled out the Splatter I stamp from Impression Obsession. I used French Ultramarine and Deep Purple to stamp several splatters across the image.

I used a larger stitched rectangle to cut a piece of patterned paper. I matted the bird panel to the patterned paper and adhered it to the card base. The card was missing a little something, so I die-cut a couple of hearts from red cardstock and adhered them to the card.

Since this card has hearts, it fits the Simon Flickr Challenge #11 - which is love.

Supplies:
Tim Holtz with Stampendous - Bird Crazy Stamp set
Impression Obsession - Splatter 1 stamp set
Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black, French Ultramarine and Deep Purple
Koi Watercolor field set (24 colors)
Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Paper
Simon Says Stamp Heavyweight Cardstock in Khaki and Lipstick Red
Simon Says Stamp - Large Holiday Shapes die
Mama Elephant - Femme Frames die
MFT - Blueprints 15 die
Tombow Mono Multi Liquid glue

No comments:

Post a Comment