Thursday, January 1, 2015

OHC 27 - Acorn

This is the very first card created for my One Hundred Cards (OHC) challenge. You can read a little bit more about the challenge here.

Theme #27 was Acorn, and I decided to use Nutsy Kaylee stamp set from Some Odd Girl. This cute set also had a sentiment that's perfect for Valentine's day, so I incorporated a bit of subtle Valentine flair into the card.

I started by stamping the squirrel and the smiley acorn onto some Copic Marker paper, using chocolate brown ink. I colored in the two images with Copics and carefully cut them out.

Since the images had a bit of a mono-chromatic look (shades of brown), I decided to carry over that theme with the rest of the card. I created a standard A2 card base (4¼x5½") out of some khaki cardstock. I then grabbed one of the 4x6 journaling cards from this collection. I liked both the color of the card and white banner-like area for the sentiment. I cut it down to measure 5¼ by 4" and rounded the corners with a ½" corner punch.

I die-cut the hexagon from a piece of Kiss Kiss patterned paper and adhered it to the card. I then drew in some white lines and little hearts to echo the sentiment banner and the patterned paper. I also used my white gel pen to add in a stitched outline to the front panel.

I adhered the squirrel and the acorn with foam squares, then adhered the whole panel to the card base. I rounded the corners of the card base with the ½" corner punch, and the card was complete!

Supplies:
Some Odd Girl -Nutsy Kaylee stamp
My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink in Chocolate Brown
My Favorite Things Hexagon STAX (retired)
Copic Mini Marker Pad in 70#lbs
Crate Paper Kiss Kiss 6x6 patterned paper
Simon Says Stamp Heavyweight cardstock in Khaki
Project Life - Cobalt Edition journaling cards
Sakura Gellyroll white gel pen
Scrapbook Adhesive 3D foam squares
Tombow Craft Dot Adhesive Runner (pink)
Copics (E23, E37, E25, E27, E57, E59, E50, E53, B05, R20, R85)

2 comments:

  1. I'm *nuts* about this card. Such a warm card with the colours you've chosen. I love that you used a hexagon too. I seem to use the same shapes time and time again. You remind me to "think outside the square" (pun intended! lol). Love how you've tackled (and won!) your first challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I'm so pleased with how the card turned out. It was one of those times when things just fit together perfectly without requiring hours of thinking and fussing with different elements. If only all cards were that easy!

      Delete