Thursday, January 28, 2016

Timber!



Continuing on with another card in my Love card series. Today's card features something that seems to be pretty trendy lately - lumberjacks. I saw the Wood You Be Mine stamp set on Stampin' Up's website last year and fell in love with it. It was (unfortunately) only available for a few months last year, so I can't link to it. But here is an adorable alternative from Neat & Tangled and there were a couple of similar sets featured at CHA that should be hitting the stores soon.

For my card, I started by creating a watercolor background using some of my Peerless watercolors. I started by wetting the watercolor paper with clean water, then I dropped in some bright watercolor and let the water do the work for me. I made sure that my colors would mix well together - so, no yellow by the purple for example. After the piece dried, I die-cut it with a stitched rectangle die.

I matted the watercolor piece onto some black cardstock and adhered it to a top-folding A2 card base. Then I got to work on the lumberjack.

I stamped him out in brown hybrid ink and colored him in with Copics. I went for traditional colors (red and green with blue denim). There wasn't anything particularly special about the coloring - I just had fun and tried to add a touch of depth here and there. Once I was done, I carefully cut him out with a pair of scissors, leaving a small white border.

Before adhering him to the card, I grabbed a heart splatter stamp and stamped it onto the watercolor panel with Wild Rose ink. This gave the card a more lovey feeling and tied into the sentiment - which I also stamped in wild rose onto some white cardstock. I matted the sentiment to some light blue cardstock, then adhered it and the lumberjack to the card with foam squares.

As a last touch, I added a few sparkly sequins.

Thanks for reading!
~Elle~

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, I love it, because it's so different :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I love when I can find something really out-of-the-box in my stamps. I'm going to have a look at my supplies again and see what other fun things I can discover!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous card! Love the design again and the colouring is lovely. Love how you've showcased such a different stamp but totally made it your own. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really been on this unusual kick lately. I found a whole bunch of stamps I want to use in different ways. It's refreshing and super inspiring for that creative mojo. :D

      Delete